Featured Posts
Recent Articles

Konkona Sensharma: My mother is shy around my son

A day before this meeting with Konkona Sensharma happened, her husband Ranvir Shorey and she took to Twitter to announce their separation. Both of them also conveyed their decision to co-parent their young son Haroon.

Konkona is clear she will not answer any questions pertaining to the above because she has never spoken about her personal life. However, the National Award-winning actress is happy to discuss Talvar, which releases on October 2 and has been receiving praise from many quarters. Here's how our conversation went...


What attracted you to Talvar?

I did Talvar because I liked the script and my role. It is a mainstream film but slightly different because investigative thrillers have not been Bollywood's forte. What attracted me to it was that it had a certain ambiguity. I found that very interesting. There is a fine line between guilt and innocence. I also loved the treatment of this film. It highlights three aspects of the investigation. I have not done anything like this before. Talvar is nice because it is not like we are trying to solve the case through the film. We are just highlighting the investigation. For me, the three different scenarios and my own part in those three scenarios was interesting. To me as a performer, this whole 'did she do it, did she not' thing was truly interesting. I was also drawn to the project because of the fantastic people involved with it. There is Irrfan of course, Neeraj Kabi, Vishal Bhardwaj and his team and Meghna Gulzar.

 Did you follow the Aarushi Talwar murder case in 2008?

It was such a high-profile case that one couldn't avoid it. The facts kind of filtered down to you, but it wasn't as if I made any special effort to follow the case at length.

 One sees less of you, especially in Bollywood. Is this deliberate?

I had three Bengali releases this year. I have travelled to a couple of festivals with those films. I have a small child and I have written my own script. It keeps me fairly occupied. Nowadays I do less work in Hindi than before because I have a kid. Besides, I have to get interesting work to do it.

I've cut down on work due to various factors. I do not mind extending myself to a certain amount if I really have something substantial to do. However, if it is something silly then I do not have so much of an incentive. I like to keep busy because it gives me a lot of balance and perspective. At the same time, I also enjoy spending time with my son. It is a great example for Haroon to see me as a strong, working mother. If I can be that for him, it is great.


Just before she returned to the studios for round two, Aishwarya Rai Bachchan had said that when she leaves home for shooting, she tells her daughter Aaradhya, 'Mummy has to go to office' because shooting is hard for a child to comprehend. Do you also tell Haroon something like that?

In Haroon's case, this didn't happen because he has been coming for shootings since he was a child. He understands that shooting is work. And he knows that when shooting is on, mummy cannot be disturbed.

Frankly, I like having him around even when I am at work. If I am in Mumbai, he hangs around in my vanity van. Of late, I have done a lot of work in Bengal. When this happens, I take him with me to Kolkata. Sometimes I leave him with my mother (Aparna Sen) who lives there.

 Does your mother spoil her grandson?

She tries but she is also kind of shy when she is around him. She goes, 'Oh no, I don't think he likes me.' Incidentally, I have just finished a short film with mum called Saari Raat. It has travelled to festivals abroad, but I do not know when it is releasing.

You have done interesting work with your mother and now with Meghna Gulzar. Any observations on women directors?

As far as women directors in India go, I think we should have more of them. We do not have enough. Beyond that, I cannot say anything on this subject based on gender. Women directors can have every negative quality that we associate with men in terms of them being not so sensitive, etc. There are so many men who are more sensitive than women. Frankly, it is hard to differentiate like that.

One hears you will veer towards direction yourself?

Yes, I hope to direct. I have written a script. But it is a long and arduous task to raise funds for a non-mainstream film.

When the promos of Talvar were out, you got a lot of support from your friends in Bollywood. Does Mumbai feel like home now?

I am happy that people reacted to the Talvar promos so positively. It felt good. As far as living in Mumbai goes, I have lived in this city for slightly over a decade now. I am beyond settled here.


Share and Enjoy:

0 comments for this post

Leave a reply

We will keep You Updated...
Sign up to receive breaking news
as well as receive other site updates!
Subscribe via RSS Feed subscribe to feeds
Sponsors
Get more updatesNEWS#
TemplateNewsSpicytricks.com
Popular Posts
Recent Stories
Connect with Facebook
Sponsors
Search
Archives
Categories
Blog Archives
Recent Comments
Tag Cloud